Out we venture…
This morning was a first ever for our boys… at 9.30am our alarm went off which meant the room was filled with the sounds of loud Canadian accented radio announcers and music, I got up and opened up the curtains to allow the sunshine to stream in... and yet, the boys slept on... and on... and on! Mark and I had some fun jumping on them and waking them up with kisses, which still only resulted in some reluctant eye fluttering and groans. We made sure they knew that how they were feeling was EXACTLY as we do when they wake us up on the weekends!
We opted to order breakfast from room service and Bryn was very excited that he could figure out most of the menu items written in French (for those who don’t know he has been teaching himself some basic French via an app I downloaded a few weeks ago). Breakfast ended up being a huge feast which was great as it was more like brunch by the time we got organised! We were very amused to find that the serving trolley came complete with naked flame to keep the warming chamber heated! It was then time to venture out – again braving the rain and traffic in the car. After running a red light and a few u-turns we found our destination – the Biodome.
The Biodome experience was great – you walk through successive ‘environments’ of tropical rainforest, maple forest, seaside and polar, complete with smells and fauna. I think a favourite was watching a beaver which we could see from an underwater viewing area and also via ‘lodge-cam’ when the beaver went ‘home’. I learned that porcupines can climb (and like to sleep) in trees and we saw many amazing creatures including the world's largest rodent (looking very much like an oversized guinea pig...), scarlet macaws, alligators, crocodiles, various monkeys and fish, bats, otters, puffins and penguins.
The walk back to the car was eventful as we managed to go the wrong way and since it was raining got ourselves quite wet (so glad we brought the rainjackets and umbrella half way around the world and then promptly forgot to take them out with us!!).
After returning to the hotel we walked to the local gare (train station) and found ourselves some dinner in the food court before returning home. I fell asleep not long after that and now everyone else has gone to sleep and I need to try and go back to sleep so I can wake up to enjoy tomorrow nice and early! Night for now.
We opted to order breakfast from room service and Bryn was very excited that he could figure out most of the menu items written in French (for those who don’t know he has been teaching himself some basic French via an app I downloaded a few weeks ago). Breakfast ended up being a huge feast which was great as it was more like brunch by the time we got organised! We were very amused to find that the serving trolley came complete with naked flame to keep the warming chamber heated! It was then time to venture out – again braving the rain and traffic in the car. After running a red light and a few u-turns we found our destination – the Biodome.
The Biodome experience was great – you walk through successive ‘environments’ of tropical rainforest, maple forest, seaside and polar, complete with smells and fauna. I think a favourite was watching a beaver which we could see from an underwater viewing area and also via ‘lodge-cam’ when the beaver went ‘home’. I learned that porcupines can climb (and like to sleep) in trees and we saw many amazing creatures including the world's largest rodent (looking very much like an oversized guinea pig...), scarlet macaws, alligators, crocodiles, various monkeys and fish, bats, otters, puffins and penguins.
The walk back to the car was eventful as we managed to go the wrong way and since it was raining got ourselves quite wet (so glad we brought the rainjackets and umbrella half way around the world and then promptly forgot to take them out with us!!).
Comments
Post a Comment